Liverpool star Raheem Sterling’s assault case adjourned
Published 22/02/2013 | 11:13
A COURT case involving a teenage Premier League and England footballer was adjourned today.
Liverpool winger Raheem Sterling, 18, is charged with common assault after a 27-year-old woman, who is known to the player, suffered "slight" facial injuries, police said.
The incident allegedly took place in the Toxteth area of the city on November 2.
Sterling did not attend today's hearing at Liverpool Magistrates' Court and his solicitor, John Brown, asked for the case to be adjourned following delays.
Mr Brown said: "A request was made to the Crown to investigate something related to this case, which the Crown have now investigated.
"The defendant is on summons so there's no reason for him to be present."
The hearing was rescheduled for March 1.
Sterling was initially summonsed to Liverpool Youth Court as the offence allegedly took place when he was 17.
But he turned 18 in December and the matter was transferred to the adult courts.
The Jamaica-born star, who lives in Woolton, Liverpool, was not present for his youth court hearing earlier this month.
Solicitor Mick Hogan appeared on his behalf at that hearing and indicated he would plead not guilty.
Sterling made his senior international debut for England last November against Sweden and has earned plaudits for his performances for Liverpool this season.