World music awards postponed in wake of Newtown school shooting
Published 20/12/2012 | 18:37
The World Music Awards was postponed on Thursday due to "logistical and multiple visa issue," organizers said, two days before the event was scheduled to be held in Miami.
Event producers John Martinotti and Marcol International said in a statement that the Dec. 22 awards ceremony also was being delayed in the wake of the elementary school shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, last week.
"We are sorry for any inconvenience but this decision had to be made due to logistical and multiple visa issues and in view of this week's national mourning. Fans have been a great support to the artists and have voted online in huge numbers," the producers said in a statement.
The winners in categories ranging from world's best song, world's best artists and entertainer of the year, are picked by fans who vote online. The statement said that votes will continue to be collected until a new date is set for the show.
The awards ceremony, founded in 1989 and hosted by Monaco's Prince Albert II, has primarily taken place in Monte Carlo and proceeds from the show go to charity. This year, show producers decided to move it to Marlins Park Stadium in Miami.