Tuesday 17 October 2017

Two arrested for stealing from wreckage of Paul Walker's fatal crash

Paul Walker was killed in a car crash
Paul Walker was killed in a car crash
Sheriff's deputies work near the wreckage of a Porsche that crashed into a light pole on Hercules Street near Kelly Johnson Parkway in Valencia, Calif.
Sheriff's deputies work near the wreckage of a Porsche that crashed into a light pole on Hercules Street near Kelly Johnson Parkway in Valencia, Calif.
Tributes lie at the site of the car crash that killed actor Paul Walker and another man in Valencia, California. (AP/Nick Ut)

Two men are being held by police for allegedly stealing parts of the wreckage from the crash that killed the Fast & Furious star Paul Walker and his friend Roger Rodas.

Police in Los Angeles said that 18-year-old Jameson Witty was arrested, while the second suspect, a 25-year-old man who has not been named, has agreed to turn himself in.

According to witnesses, parts of the Porsche Carrera GT's wreckage were stolen as the car was being towed away just hours after the crash on Saturday night that killed the 40-year-old.

Onlookers said a man got out of a car that had been following the tow truck when it stopped at red lights and pulled a piece of the car off before the car drove off again.

Witty, 18, who was arrested at his home in Los Angeles, was being held on $20,000 (£12,000) bail, the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said.

Walker, who played ex-cop Brian O’Conner, was killed by both the impact and subsequent burn injuries when the Porsche his friend was driving smashed into a light pole and tree in Los Angeles and burst into flames. Investigators are still trying to determine what caused Rodas to skid out of control.

Walker starred in all but one of the six of the Fast & Furious blockbuster films. Universal Pictures has suspended filming of Fast & Furious 7.

Toxicology results for both individuals will be made available in six to eight weeks. However, the Medical Examiner has already ruled that both deaths were an accident.

Online Editors

Independent.ie Comments Facility

INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.

We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie


Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment