X Factor shame: Frankie Cocozza blows it by boasting of his cocaine and sex binge
Published 09/11/2011 | 07:33
X FACTOR boss Simon Cowell said Frankie Cocozza has "blown a wonderful opportunity" after the teenage hopeful was axed from the competition.
Cowell said the 18-year-old had "no one to blame but himself" after he was booted out of the contest after breaking its rules.
College drop-out Cocozza was shown the exit after boasting about his drug use in front of production staff.
It is believed he confessed to snorting cocaine during the all-night party that followed his poor performance on Saturday night’s show.
According to the Sun, he said he has spent the evening with two blondes during which he took cocaine and they then had sex.
On Sunday’s results show he was asked by presenter Dermot O’Leary if it was true he had slept for just a half an hour the previous night.
Programme bosses will make an announcement today about how Saturday's programme will pan out following Cocozza's unexpected exit.
Cowell told the Sun: "Frankie's blown a wonderful opportunity. It's very sad, but he has no one to blame but himself."
Cocozza's mentor Gary Barlow said he was "hugely disappointed" that the singer had "thrown away" the opportunity after Cocozza admitted he no longer "deserves" his place in the ITV show.
A show spokeswoman said the teenager was leaving "after breaking competition rules".
She would not elaborate on which rule had been broken, but it is understood there was no police involvement before his departure.
His antics have already prompted an investigation by broadcasting watchdog Ofcom into the series.
The young wannabe has been pictured on a string of nights out since finding fame in the contest. On Sunday's results show it emerged he had only slept for half an hour on Saturday night.
He made an impact in the early stages when he boasted that the names of some of his many lovers were tattooed on his bottom.
Yesterday he said that his life had "gone out of control" while taking part in the show. As he left, he apologised to Barlow and fans who had been voting for him.
Cocozza's father Frank said he was "absolutely heartbroken" for his son.
Speaking at his home in Beckenham, Kent, he told the Daily Mail: "Neither of us saw this coming. I only spoke to him last night on the phone and he said he was going to really knuckle down."
Many viewers were astonished that the singer remained in the competition following a below-par performance at the weekend.
Cocozza said: "I'd like to apologise to Gary, my fellow contestants and everyone who has voted for me, but, as of today, I will no longer be in The X Factor.
"My life during the show has gone out of control and my behaviour off stage has overstepped the rules of the competition.
"I no longer deserve my place in the show, so I am therefore leaving. I would like to thank everyone who has supported me."
Barlow said: "Frankie has apologised publicly as well as personally to me and the producers for his actions that led to him leaving the show.
"I'm hugely disappointed that he's thrown away an opportunity like this after working so hard to get here.
"I'm sorry to see him go as we've been through a lot together in such a short time.
"I hope Frankie continues to look to me as a friend and supporter and works it all out, picks himself up and somehow tries to turn this into a positive."
A spokeswoman for The X Factor said yesterday: "Frankie is leaving the show today after breaking competition rules.
"He is going to take some time out before continuing his career as a singer. We wish him all the best for his future."
Moments before leaving the show, Cocozza boasted to fans on Twitter that he was shooting the video for an X Factor charity single, Wishing On A Star.
It is the latest drama to engulf the show this year as the programme struggles to match audiences in previous years.
Little over a week ago one group member walked out on the show, leaving The Risk to recruit a new member from another act which had already been given the boot.
And the programme has had to contend with an on-air spat between judges Kelly Rowland and Tulisa Contostavlos.
Days later Rowland failed to return from a trip to Los Angeles, claiming she had a virus which prevented her from flying, and she had to fire one of her singers by phone during a live results show.
Cocozza's behaviour has led to two investigations by Ofcom into possible breaches of its programme code.
It is looking into whether he fell foul of rules about swearing after he was seen to shout "f****** have it - get in there", when he learned he was through to the next round during a results programme on October 23.
The regulator is also looking into whether footage of him during a night out with friends breached the code's rules on glamorising alcohol use.
Ofcom is also looking into a problem with an on-screen contest when multiple choice answers appeared in a different order during the programme.