'The journey has come to an end and that's all it is' Hector tells listeners on 2FM show
Published 18/12/2013 | 23:33
Hector O hEochagain has told his 'soldiers of the dawn', his 2FM listeners, that he is making a return to the small screen.
"That journey has come to an end - and that's all it is," he told fellow 2FM presenter Damien Farrelly before his breakfast show started broadcasting at 7am this morning.
"A new journey starts in the New Year," he said, before adding he was "getting back into the TV business" and that it was difficult to combine both.
"You are my soldiers of the dawn, you're the ones I get up for every morning, your tweets, your posts, your calls, and as commander of the dawn this morning I say to my soldiers of the dawn 'good morning'.
"This isn't a sad morning, plenty of things will happen in 2014."
Hector will leave 2fm as early as this Friday after he was axed from the station.
His producer Alan Swan will take over the microphone on the breakfast show until RTE announce a full-time host in the new year.
RTE confirmed that the Gaelgoir plans to return to RTE TV in the spring with the series 'Hector Goes', and will also pursue other TV projects in 2014.
"To all the soldiers of the Dawn. Exciting times ahead ... I will speak to all of you in The Morning," Hector tweeted last night.
Head of 2fm and Director of Radio Sales Dan Healy paid tribute to Hector for his "significant role in developing breakfast radio with his show 'Breakfast with Hector' on 2fm".
"RTE 2fm would like to take this opportunity to thank Hector for the enormous effort it takes to broadcast a breakfast show and for the entertainment he gave to his 'soldiers of the dawn'," he said.
Just last month Mr Healy described reports that Hector's show was to be axed as "nonsense".
However, speaking last night he said "the situation had changed" since he made those remarks. Hector's show was broadcast from Galway each weekday morning.
Earlier this year the 2fm boss had acknowledged that there were "issues" with the content of 2fm between 7am and 11am.
"We changed the music and the image but we are losing audience in Dublin. We have to be talking in a way that's relevant to people in Dublin and Leinster between the ages of 25 and 34 and paying attention to what our competitors are doing," he said.
Hector's 2fm show dropped 14,000 listeners in the 12 months from October 2012, with the last JNLR figures giving it 124,000 listeners -- down from 138,000 the previous year.