Friday 9 December 2016

Take Me Out contestant is revealed to be a male escort

Robert Dex

Published 10/01/2012 | 11:30

TELEVISION bosses have demanded a "review" of how contestants are chosen for ITV1 dating show Take Me Out after it emerged its latest star had worked as a £50-an-hour male escort.

  • Go To

Aaron Withers did not mention his past when he appeared in front of millions of viewers at the weekend as he tried to win a date with one of 30 women on the show, hosted by Paddy McGuinness.



His description on the online escort site, which is four years old, claims he works as a model, lifeguard and "semi-pro surfer".



It adds that he has "an awesome personality and will never struggle to hold conversation", charges £50 an hour and is willing to entertain "mature clients".



It was also reported today that the 32-year-old, pleaded guilty to an assault charge last year.



Television bosses were embarrassed last year when it emerged that Nathan Hageman, the first winner of the £1 million game show Red Or Black?, had a violent past.



TV bosses then axed three more contestants after finding "inconsistencies" during a background check and promised to bring in tighter checks on criminal convictions.



An ITV spokesman said: "We are disappointed that this contestant's record was not picked up as part of the background checks carried out by talkbackThames, the producers of Take Me Out. We have asked talkbackThames to carry out an immediate review of their procedures on this show."



The production company, responsible for hit shows including The X Factor and Britain's Got Talent, promised to review procedures.



A talkbackThames spokeswoman said: "During the application process we ask contestants to declare any convictions, and background checks are carried out on each individual, in line with industry practice.



"Aaron's criminal record did not come to light. We will be reviewing procedures going forward."



Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment