Tuesday 17 October 2017

Strictly Come Dancing 2012: Ex cricketer Michael Vaughan signs up

Michael Vaughan said he couldn't dance but could throw some 'proper shapes' on a night out
Michael Vaughan said he couldn't dance but could throw some 'proper shapes' on a night out

Donna Bowater

FORMER cricketer Michael Vaughan is the first celebrity to be announced in this year's line-up for the BBC's Strictly Come Dancing.

The former England captain, who led England to victory at the Ashes in 2005, follows in the footsteps of fellow cricketers Darren Gough and Mark Ramprakash, who both fared well on the dancefloor.

Mr Vaughan, 37, played for Yorkshire during his career but retired from top flight cricket three years ago.

The other celebrity contestants have yet to be revealed for the show, which returns later this year with new judge Darcey Bussell.

The ballerina will replace Alesha Dixon, who joined ITV's Britain's Got Talent panel.

A source confirmed Vaughan would be joining Strictly Come Dancing.

In a series of Twitter messages, he indicated to his 270,615 followers that the speculation may not be true before joking he could produce "some proper shapes" on a night out.

He said: "Not everything you read is true tweeple.....

"Btw [by the way]... I can't dance....

"Although at 3am after a shed full I produce some proper shapes...."

His partner is yet to be revealed but last night, professional dancer Ola Jordan confirmed she would be returning for the next series.

She said: "So I guess you all heard the news. Very happy to be back for new series of Strictly! Thank you so much for all your kind messages."

Last month, it was reported the judges of the show had signed improved deals with the BBC but host Sir Bruce Forsyth had taken a 15 per cent pay cut.

Craig Revel Horwood told the Daily Telegraph today: “It is going to be the best series yet, I’m sure.

“I can’t wait to find out what celebrities we’ll be the judging in this 10th series – exciting times.”

Independent.ie Comments Facility

INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.

We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie


Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment