PRESENTER Sile Seoige's radio show on Newstalk has been axed as part of a major overhaul of the station's weekend schedule.
Ms Seoige (34), who battled thyroid cancer last year, had enjoyed a two-hour slot on a Saturday, with a softer-style show, 'Shenanigans with Sile' dipping into human-interest and lifestyle stories.
However, the talk radio chiefs said in-depth research into its audience had shown listeners wanted "speech driven shows" in the prime-time weekend slots.
"We conducted extensive research into our listener trends and demands and our schedule changes reflect those results," said Garrett Harte, Newstalk's station editor.
Ms Seoige didn't comment on the dropping of her show last night, but at the launch of Keelings' fruit snack pots last week she indicated she was looking for more opportunities in television presenting.
The Spiddal native and fluent Irish speaker's weekend slot will be taken over by the 'Down to Business' show with former 'Dragons' Den' businessman Bobby Kerr, which will move from Sundays to the prominent 11am to 1pm slot on Saturdays.
A spokesman for Newstalk stressed the decision to "discontinue" Ms Seoige's midday show was not linked to listenership figures and was simply a "strategic decision" based on research. The radio station stressed there was "no animosity" in the move to take the show off air.
Other changes at the station will see science programme 'Futureproof' with Jonathan McCrea now airing early on Saturday mornings.
Former 'Dragons' Den' presenter Norah Casey, who announced she was stepping down from hosting Newstalk's breakfast show, will now return with a weekend show in September.