Thursday 30 March 2017

Red Or Black? £1m winner may lose money

Sherna Noah

ITV is under pressure today after it emerged that the first £1m winner of Simon Cowell's gameshow Red Or Black? was jailed for beating up a woman.

Bricklayer Nathan Hageman was previously reported to have been jailed for attacking his ex-girlfriend's boyfriend.



It has now been reported that the 31-year-old, from Reading, attacked a woman, thought to be his ex.



ITV is holding talks following the revelations, with pressure on the broadcaster to strip Mr Hageman of his win.



An ITV spokesman said: "In light of recent developments, ITV and Syco (Cowell's production company) are making inquiries to establish the facts."



A Reading Crown Court spokesman reportedly told The Sun and the Daily Mirror that the victim of the 2006 assault was a woman.



It is reported that ITV knew about Mr Hageman's five-year jail sentence, of which he served two-and-a-half years, but it is thought that they did not know that the victim was a woman.



Mr Hageman previously told journalists that he attacked a male victim after he started getting threatening calls from a man in Reading.



"I tried to brush it off but he kept saying he was going to harm me. One night he told me my address and said he was going to come round and batter me in front of my mum and niece Mya, who was only about two," he told The Sun.



He said: "I was an idiot for doing it, I know, but that's the state of mind I was in.



"He wasn't seriously hurt, but he made a complaint and I was arrested. I was charged with aggravated burglary and ABH. I pleaded guilty straight away as I knew what I'd done was wrong. I got five years."



Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment