Entertainment TV & Radio

Tuesday 2 September 2014

Olly Murs confirms he has quit the Xtra Factor after two years

Brian O'Reilly

Published 28/01/2013 | 15:30

  • Share

OLLY Murs has confirmed that he has quit the X Factor spin-off show ‘The Xtra Factor’ after two years at the helm with Caroline Flack.

  • Share
  • Go To






The singer told Heat magazine that commitments to his music career now makes it unlikely he will be able to return to the show.

“To be honest, the way my career is going in terms of music and internationally it looks unlikely that I'll be able to do it”, he said.



Murs has seen his popularity explode in the U.S since he supported One Direction there on tour last summer.

“It's an amazing part of my career and working with Caroline has been great. Xtra Factor is nice to get my mind off music for a while, but for me America is a big step”, he explained.

Producers are now considering whether to replace Murs, or to allow Flack to continue as the show’s sole presenter.

A showbiz insider said: “Producers are gutted it looks like Olly won’t be back, he was really popular with viewers. However Caroline proved during the audition rounds last year she is strong enough to carry the show alone, so they may not need a replacement.”

However Celebrity Big Brother winner Rylan Clarke has thrown his name into contention – saying he would love to team up with Flack to present the show.

He told The Sun: “It's the dream job, especially coming from the show. Not sounding big-headed but if you talk about X Factor from last year there's three whose names you will bring up and I'd like to think I would be one of them.”



The X Factor is set to undergo major changes next year – it is believed Simon Cowell will axed two judges, believed to be Gary Barlow and Tulisa, and will return the audition rounds to a small room instead of an arena.

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment