Mister Saturday Night is relishing challenge
THE Sunday Independent journalist Brendan O'Connor is to be RTE's Mr Saturday Night. It was announced last week, that after the success of its initial run, RTE's Saturday Night Show, will be back for a full season this autumn.
"It's a relief to finally be able to talk about it," says O'Connor, "but, because I've known for some time about it I've passed the delighted stage and moved into the fear stage. But a healthy fear, hopefully."
The second series of the Saturday Night Show, which will air after the main evening news on Saturday nights, will begin on September 25 and run until late May or early June. O'Connor promises more or less the same mix of light and shade, some laughs, good live music and hopefully a sense of the unpredictable.
"Obviously, this being live TV, they try and plan fairly well roughly what will happen but people seemed to enjoy the fact that there was a slight sense that something bizarre could happen at any stage on the Saturday Night Show, so we would hope to keep that edge," he says.
"And, from my point, I don't think there is any danger of me becoming too smooth and professional. I'll still be trading on my looks, as I always have. I think people have a huge appetite for a laugh and a bit of robust chat these days so it's a great time to be doing a talk show.
"RTE have put a great team on the show again with many of the original personnel returning, and, let's face it, they were the ones who made it such a success against all the odds."
O'Connor said his wishlist for the first show would be U2, Brian Cowen, Peaches Geldof and Larry David.
"The team are confident they can do it."