Miriam O'Callaghan gives up battle to ease show workload
Published 09/04/2014 | 00:15
RTE Broadcaster Miriam O'Callaghan's plans to shorten and pre-record her popular chat show ‘Saturday Night with Miriam' have been rejected.
O'Callaghan expressed a desire for the series to be reduced in size and packages to be pre-recorded earlier this year so she could spend more time with her family.
“The summer show is the same,” she told the Irish Independent. “It's still eight weeks and it won't be pre-recorded despite everything I fought for.”
However, O'Callaghan says she is looking forward to starting the series.
“It begins on the fifth of July. It will be fine because I only need to be there on a Saturday night. And I love what I do,” she added.
While the programme was criticised by viewers, the presenter had a thoroughly enjoyable night. “I go every year and I hand out an award every year and I enjoy myself thoroughly,” she said.
O'Callaghan was talking at the launch of ‘Darkness into Light 2014’ with Electric Ireland in Malahide Castle, Co Dublin.
The event will see thousands of people walk, jog or run along a 5km route while dawn breaks on Saturday, May 10.
“Pieta does such great work – most families in Ireland have been touched by the issue of suicide, so it's relevant and extremely important,” O’Callaghan said.