Miriam and Bryan give younger rivals chance in the hot seat
BROADCASTER Miriam O'Callaghan has no intention of jumping ship to the BBC despite receiving numerous offers from her former employer.
However, the 'Prime Time' host said she would always consider offers from the UK broadcaster where they arise.
"I started out in the BBC on 'Newsnight'," she told the Irish Independent. "I worked with a lot of people who are now bosses in the BBC, so I have got offers, people remember you in this industry.
"You always listen and see what people are offering – but I have no desire to go back to the UK," she said. "I've been there, so I don't feel the need to see what things are like on the other side of the water."
O'Callaghan's husband, former RTE director of programmes Steve Carson, quit the state broadcaster last year to take up a new position with BBC Northern Ireland.
But the mother of eight says Carson's decision to move to Belfast was a further incentive for her to stay put in Ireland. "Steve is away now and I have a big family, so I'm not in a position to go anywhere," she added.
O'Callaghan is currently gearing up for the forthcoming series of her chat show 'Saturday Night with Miriam'. It will start on July 5 and run for eight weeks over the summer.
Meanwhile, Bryan Dobson has spoken of his relief with the BAI's decision to clear him of seven complaints after he called a group of protesters "idiots" live on air.
Dobson described the verdict as "important" and said he was allowed a "slip-up" from time to time.
The duo were speaking at the first birthday of RTEJr, Ireland's sole children's only channel. As part of the event, a group of youngsters were allowed to interview RTE presenters, including O'Callaghan and Dobson.
"It was fun being grilled by the kids. They asked some great questions," O'Callaghan said. "There are some presenters in the making."