Monday 20 October 2014

Joe Duffy admits he’s ‘shocked’ as RTE react to Kenny exit

Published 31/07/2013 | 14:31

Joe Duffy and Pat Kenny
Joe Duffy and Pat Kenny

JOE Duffy has reacted with ‘shock’ to the news that Pat Kenny is to leave RTE after 41 years.

Duffy was presenting his show on RTE One when news of the departure broke.

“I am as shocked as everyone else to hear that Pat Kenny is leaving RTE and I wish him well,” Joe Duffy said.

RTE has issued a statement saying that Kenny “will not be renewing his contract with RTÉ and will therefore be leaving the organisation with immediate effect”.

The national broadcaster paid tribute to Kenny’s 41-year career at the station

Speaking of Pat Kenny’s departure, RTÉ Director General Noel Curran said: ‘Pat has made a huge contribution to RTÉ over many years on both television and radio.”

“Always meticulously prepared, he is a broadcaster of real talent, range and integrity. I have worked with Pat as a Producer of both his Current Affairs and his Entertainment series and I know the range of his talent. Pat Kenny's contract with RTÉ expired earlier this year and we have been aware for some time that he had an offer from commercial radio.

“Through lengthy negotiations every effort was made to retain Pat’s services but unfortunately we could not come to an agreement.

“I would like to wish Pat the very best for the future and I would like to thank him, both personally and as Director General for his contribution to broadcasting on RTÉ. We must all now look ahead to refreshing our Radio 1 Schedule, on the back of the very strong JNLR figures last week.”

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment