Thursday 23 October 2014

I'd never go back to 4am starts for radio, says Tubridy

Published 20/12/2013 | 02:30

BROADCASTER Ryan Tubridy has ruled out a return to the breakfast slot at 2FM, following the departure of Hector O hEochagain.

The 40-year-old presented on weekdays from 7am to 9am prior to O hEochagain's arrival and enjoyed success with 'The Full Irish' from 2002 to 2005.

Laura Butler interviews Ryan Tubridy on Hector's departure and Ryan's radio future. Photo: Clare Cullen
Photo: Clare Cullen
Hector Ó hÉochagáin
Hector Ó hÉochagáin

However, Tubridy told the Irish Independent that he was not in the running to succeed the Galway-based Meath man and that there has been no discussion between himself and head of 2FM, Dan Healy, to start his show earlier in a bid to improve the ratings. His show currently airs from 9am to 11am.

"The pressure is as much physical as anything else in that slot, it's a tough one and those early morning starts at 4am are really exhausting, so it's quite relentless and is hard," he said.

"I obviously did it for three years and some of my favourite moments of broadcasting were during that time, so when it's good, it's good; but no, I would never do it again.

"It won't be happening this time, I'll be staying at 9am."

Ryan Tubridy regales the Independent.ie staff with tales of the Toy Show. Photo: Clare Cullen
Laura Butler and Ryan share a joke in the Independent.ie studio. Photo: Clare Cullen
Photo: Clare Cullen

The father of two said he would be sad to see the end of the O hEochagain era at 2FM.

"I've always been a fan of Hector's, on and off radio, so yes I'll be very sorry to be see him go. He's been great fun and I think he offered a lot to 2FM, as well as the commuters all over the country."

'Republic of Telly' anchors Jennifer Maguire and Bernard O'Shea are tipped to take the helm of the breakfast slot in the schedule.

Tubridy said he thinks they would be "great additions" to the station.

Tubridy was speaking during a visit to Independent News & Media yesterday.

He collected €1,000 worth of gifts for his annual 2FM Toy Appeal, with Smyths Toys generously donating €200 toward INM's collection.

Now in its fourth year, the Toy Appeal initiative was born out of the Tubs for Toys project.

The Christmas campaign sees toys donated to the St Vincent de Paul, which are then distributed to thousands of struggling families around the country ahead of December 25.

"It means a huge difference to kids and families around the country. No child in the country should be unhappy on Christmas morning, so an extra €10 or €15 could make that day for a kid as magical as it should be," Tubridy said.

Irish Independent

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment