Wednesday 18 October 2017

Hector gained 12,000 more listeners for his axed radio show

Hector O hEochagain
Hector O hEochagain

BY EIMEAR RABBITTE

EX-2fm star Hector O'hEochagain has shown his former employers what they are missing after significantly increasing his listenership in the last year.

Hector enjoyed 136,000 listeners to his breakfast show over the last 12 months, up 12,000 on the same figures in January 2013.

This comes just one month after it was announced that the Meath native would be departing the 2fm breakfast slot to make way for the new team of Jennifer Maguire, Bernard O'Shea and Keith Walsh.

Despite speculation that the host was axed from the station, 2fm insisted that the decision was amicable and that Hector was interested in taking up more TV work.

Speaking to the Herald last night, a spokesperson for RTE radio, said there were no regrets over the departure of the red-haired host.

"Hector wanted to do more TV and we needed a show that was run from Dublin," Maureen Catterson of RTE radio said.

"He left a very high standard and now it is up to the new guys to continue his good work."

Online Editors

Independent.ie Comments Facility

INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.

We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie


Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment