Entertainment TV & Radio

Wednesday 17 September 2014

Gordon Ramsay settles lawsuit for not turning up for fundraiser for chronically ill girl

James Orr

Published 06/03/2012 | 13:54

  • Share
Gordon Ramsay

GORDON Ramsay has agreed to donate €61,000 to settle a lawsuit for failing to appear at fundraisers for a chronically ill young girl, it has emerged.

  • Share
  • Go To

The Michelin star chef was initially due to appear at a charity event held in New Zealand in June 2010 but was forced to cancel after his mother suffered a heart attack.



He later went on to cancel a second, rescheduled appearance, to raise money for 11-year-old Matisse Reid in order to deal with business difficulties in Britain.



Miss Reid, who suffers from a rare intestinal disorder, has been receiving costly, life-saving treatment at a hospital in Pittsburgh in the United States for the past five years.



She underwent a bowel transplant last year but may require further surgery which her family intends to pay for through her charity Chance2eat.



Yesterday a spokesman for Duco Events, based in Auckland, said they had settled the case against Ramsay amicably. The firm is believed to have tried to sue the acid-tongued celebrity for £1million following his no-show at the sold-out functions.



“The parties have reached a mutually-agreeable financial settlement, including a donation of NZ$100,000 (€61,000) to Matisse Reid and the trust Chance2eat,” it said.



“Further, Duco Events and Gordon Ramsay are committed to working together in 2013, further details to be announced in due course.”



Speaking from Pittsburgh, Miss Reid’s mother, Jodee, told the New Zealand Herald that the family was very grateful for the “generous donation”.



She added: “Matisse has not been cured, we are not sure whether she'll need another transplant in the future so the money will be set aside in case we would need it for her.”



In recent months Ramsay, 45, has been criticised for spreading himself too thinly at the expense of his many award-winning restaurants.



In January he settled a long-standing feud with his in-laws by paying them a reputed £2 million to sever their ties with his business.



Telegraph.co.uk

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment