FORMER 2fm boss John Clarke has caused a storm of controversy within RTE by announcing live on air that he learned details of the station's shake-up through a press release.
In an apparent swipe at 2fm's relaunch Clarke told listeners to Ireland's Biggest Jukebox that radio "now is all about Kim Kardashian, comedians telling jokes and TV celebrities".
He said that he had been "reading the signs" and as a result would leave the Sunday morning slot."
"I survived in this industry for over 30 years by knowing when it's the right time to move," he said.
Mr Clarke, who produces Will Leahy's daily 'More Music Drive', also claimed he found out the drive-time show had been removed from the weekday schedule via an impersonal press release.
"During the week, I produce the drive-time show with Will Leahy but we found out via a press release that the show is being taken off the air even though it was the number one music show for 15-34s on the station," he said.
However, RTE responded last night by saying that Clarke was told before his show that it was facing the axe. A spokesperson said he was "made aware that Sunday was to be his final 2fm show last week".
RTE said that Mr Clarke did not quit his show, but was simply "re-assigned" to a different department within RTE Radio.
2fm is currently re-branding. New presenters including Bernard O'Shea, Jennifer Maguire and Nicky Byrne are to join while more familiar broadcasters such as Colm Hayes, Will Leahy and Larry Gogan have been moved around in the schedule.
It is clear that Mr Clarke was not a fan of the re-launch.
"The only person still playing music on the radio is still Larry Gogan," he said.
"Radio now is all about Kim Kardashian, comedians telling jokes and TV celebrities – even last week I was listening to a music radio station and they spent 20 minutes talking about cleaning an oven."
Before signing off from his final broadcast, Mr Clarke gave special mention to his family and their ongoing support over the past 30 years.