Duffy is tipped to leave 'Liveline' for Tubridy slot
Published 21/06/2010 | 05:00
'LIVELINE' presenter Joe Duffy has been linked with a shock move into the 9am RTE Radio 1 slot being vacated by Ryan Tubridy.
It is understood that RTE management believe Duffy would prove a ratings winner in the morning, while the 'Liveline' audience would remain high with a new host.
RTE has refused to comment on the speculation. However, sources at Montrose said yesterday that the "gamble" was only one of a number of options being considered. Other names linked with the slot include Derek Mooney, Katherine Thomas and Eamon Keane.
"We cannot comment on speculation but we would underline that only the MD of radio and the head of Radio One are privy to the matter.
"As such, any speculation is unfounded and baseless ahead of an official confirmation," an RTE spokesman said.
Tubridy will move to 2fm in August to replace Gerry Ryan and RTE management is once again faced with the dilemma of who should fill the hour between 'Morning Ireland' and Pat Kenny -- and what type of show it should be.
The incumbent before Tubridy was Marian Finucane who, in 1999, moved to the morning slot from 'Liveline'.
She was replaced as 'Liveline' host by Joe Duffy and he went on to become the most popular solo broadcaster in the country with an audience of 425,000.
"It would be a huge gamble to move Joe to the morning slot," an RTE source said, adding: "It is just one of many options being looked at."
Efforts to contact Duffy were unsuccessful last night. The mooted move to the morning radio slot was first reported in a Sunday newspaper where he is a columnist.
Meanwhile, RTE denied reports that it planned to target Vincent Browne's TV3 audience with a late-night news programme.
Chief news correspondent Charlie Bird had been tipped in some quarters to host a new show to rival Vincent Browne.
But RTE said simply yesterday that there were currently no proposals for a new late-night news show.
The national broadcaster has also denied reports that there was a spat between the two stations over Gerry Ryan's last interview.
TV3 is currently producing a documentary on the DJ, based around an interview it carried out with Mr Ryan just weeks before his death.
A spokesman said yesterday that there was no issue between the two rival stations and that TV3 would have access to archival footage of Mr Ryan if it requested.
"RTE as a public-service broadcaster has an archive that is accessible by members of the public and by other operators," the spokesman said.
"If you are looking for archival footage, it's available for purchase but the usual rights fees apply."