Corey Monteith death caused by heroin and alcohol overdose
Published 16/07/2013 | 22:05
Canadian authorities confirm cause of death for Cory Monteith was mixture of heroin and alcohol
The British Columbia Coroners Service said that post-mortem testing on the star, who was found dead on Saturday in a Vancouver hotel room, died of "a mixed-drug toxicity involving heroin and alcohol."
However, the service said Monteith's death was unlikely to have been intentional.
"It should be noted that at this point there is no evidence to suggest Mr. Monteith's death was anything other than a most-tragic accident," the Coroners Service said.
Monteith had talked about his problems with substance abuse.
Monteith was dating 'Glee' co-star Lea Michele, who had spoken about his struggles with addiction.
In April, a representative for the Canadian actor said he was at a rehabilitation facility for an unspecified substance addiction.
Michele told People magazine at the time that she loved and supported her boyfriend and was proud he was seeking help.
Monteith, whose "Glee" character Finn Hudson was a high school football player turned enthusiastic glee club - or musical group - singer, was treated at a rehabilitation facility for an unspecified substance addiction this year.
The actor, who grew up in Victoria, British Columbia, told Parade magazine in 2011 about what he called a serious drug problem during his teenage years, and was first treated for addiction at 19.
Other people were in Monteith's Pacific Rim Hotel room on Friday night but evidence, including fob key entries, indicated he returned to his room by himself early on Saturday and was alone when he died, police said. He was due to check out of the hotel that day.
Monteith had been dead for several hours when his body was discovered by police and paramedics answering an emergency call, Lapointe said.