TV & Radio

Thursday 24 July 2014

Brian Kennedy blames ‘outrageous’ incident at ‘The Voice’ final for quitting show

Brian O'Reilly

Published 21/02/2013|10:00

  • Share
The judges from the first series of 'The Voice of Ireland'

BRIAN Kennedy has spoken out for the first time about his reasons for not returning for a second series of ‘The Voice of Ireland’.

  • Share
  • Go To

Initially it was reported that Kennedy had decided to leave the show due to scheduling issues, however he has now revealed there was more behind his departure.

The 46-year-old Belfast native mentored Richie Hayes to second place in last year’s series, and surprised many when he announced his decision not to return.

He told Alan Hughes on TV3’s Ireland AM: “All I’ll say is that we were in talks about it and a few things happened that were really awful.”

He then cryptically said: “I have to say one thing happened during the final that I was involved in that was absolutely outrageous.”

When pressed by Hughes for more details Kennedy said: “I can’t really tell you, but it’s just one of those things that I just thought – ‘I’m not sure I want to be involved with this’.”

He added that negotiations collapsed at the last minute, but that his decision had nothing to do with money.

However Larry Bass, who runs the respected production company behind The Voice ‘ShinAwil, claimed he was baffled as to what Kennedy was alluding to.

He added that he would never rule out Kennedy returning to the show in the future as he is one of Ireland’s most talented singers.

The singer himself has also not ruled out a future return to the panel, when asked he simply responded: “I never say never”.

Read More

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment