Anne Doyle coming out of retirement she 'enjoyed a little too much' for new RTE quiz show
Published 06/11/2013 | 06:45
Former newsreader Anne Doyle is set to make a comeback to RTE screens.
The 61-year-old is reigniting her presenting career after agreeing to take part in a pilot for a new game show.
Division will air on RTE One on December 1, just after the Six One news.
"The show will feature a group of 30 people divided into groups of 15," a show insider told the Herald.
"It is a light quiz show, and topics haven't been finalised yet."
Doyle previously said she was enjoying her retirement a little too much.
However, she did not need much persuasion to take part in the new show, and is said to be looking forward to the role.
"She's an RTE icon, so she's the ideal candidate to get people to tune in," said the insider.
The move comes only weeks after Doyle's now infamous cameo in the new Anchorman video.
The Wexford native hit the headlines again when she appeared in the special Irish trailer for Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues trailer. A vintage clip from the RTE newsroom features at the start of the new promo video, where a then brunette Doyle calmly says "Good evening. The headlines."
The clip was taken from a news broadcast from the 1980s.
Doyle presented the news on RTE for 33 years before bowing out in December 2011.
Division is one of a number of Sunday shows that RTE is hoping will fill the gap once smash hit crime drama Love/Hate comes to an end this weekend.
If it proves a success, RTE is planning to continue the show on a more permanent basis next year.
Interior design programme Room To Improve, featuring Dermot Bannon, is coming back for a new series on November 17.
Earlier that evening, economist Eddie Hobbs will be back on our screens with new show, The Give or Take Club.
In December, The Kids Are in Charge comes to RTE screens, but this time with a twist. The kids will be given a chunk of their parents' household money to decide where they go on holidays.