independent

Sunday 20 April 2014

Alan Cantwell has ‘no regrets’ on leaving TV3

Alan Cantwell

FORMER TV3 news anchor Alan Cantwell has revealed he has no regrets about leaving the broadcaster.

The 45-year-old shocked viewers when he announced last year he would be leaving the channel’s 5.30 news programme, a bulletin he had fronted since the station went on air.

He said spending the three month summer in the great weather with his daughters only cemented the fact he made the right call.

“It was absolutely the right decision for me, although I miss the people and I miss broadcasting”.

He also didn’t rule out a possible return to broadcasting in future, although more likely in radio.

Speaking to Miriam O’Callaghan on Radio One this morning, he also said that although it was his choice to leave his job, seeing the hopelessness in people in the queue to sign on was stark.

“You have to sign on for job seeker’s allowance to keep your stamps for pensions and so on, but one of the most dispiriting things you can do is stand outside a job seekers office with everyone else.

“You see the hopelessness on people’s faces, you don’t see smiles, you see people who’ve lost the will to live.”

Despite being one of the best known faces on Irish TV, he said he had no problem signing on – and even wrote a piece for a newspaper on the experience.

“I had no problem at all with it. I spiked the story and wrote it up myself. I was curious about how the whole mechanism works, and it’s quite painless.”

Also in this Section

Classifieds

CarsIreland

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet, chat and connect with
singles in your area

Independent Shopping.ie

Meet Singles Now

Findajob

Apps

Now available on

Top Stories

Most Read

Independent Gallery

Your photos

Send us your weather photos promo

Celebrity News