Girl shares heartbreaking post as her dog died from heatstroke after a walk on the hottest day of the year
Published 23/07/2016 | 16:43
A girl whose dog died from heatstroke after going for a walk on a hot day has shared a heartbreaking Facebook post to warn others about the hot weather.
Courtney Rogers from Wirral in the UK took her two dogs - a Staff called Capone, and a French Bulldog, Henry - on their “usual walk” after temperatures cooled down on one of the hottest days of the summer, last Wednesday July 20.
Courtney said she brought water for both dogs but soon noticed that the Bulldog was having trouble breathing and refused to move.
“About halfway through our walk, Henry started panting, like he usually does anyway because of his breed, but it got progressively worse. After having large drinks from his water, the panting only got worse, to the point were his chest was rattling, and he was plonking himself down in any shade he could find, refusing to move,” said Courtney.
After failing to cool the dog down at home she brought him to an animal hospital who informed her that Henry had heatstroke and was unlikely to make it through the night.
“After not doing well over night, suffering a couple of seizures, the nurse phoned us at around 5 this morning to say that he wasn't going to make it and that it would be best to put him to sleep. In a matter of hours, I had lost my dopey, lovable little Henry.”
Courtney said she shared her experience to alert other pet owners of how the weather can affect them.
“Please keep an extra eye on your dogs, especially if they are a bulldog breed, carry a little extra weight, and have breathing troubles. If you want to take them for a walk in the hot sun, try not to make it too long, or go somewhere where there is lots of shade and your dogs can rest in it. Make sure they drink plenty of water and don't get too overheated.
“This also goes out to people who think it won't do any harm to leave their dog in the car while they pop to the shops; it can get twice as hot inside the car than outside and a dog can pass out even quicker.”