Simon Cowell 'prepared to sue' Gary Barlow over singer's new talent show
Simon Cowell is "prepared to sue" Gary Barlow over the singer's new talent show, according to reports.
The former Take Take singer is set to launch his new talent show, Let It Shine, on Saturday night, but Cowell is concerned that the show is too similar to the X Factor and is "prepared to sue," reports The Mail on Sunday.
Barlow's new eight-week show will see singers compete to play the parts of Take That in an upcoming West End musical about the band, and will feature auditions judged by a panel, a bootcamp stage and live shows, just like the X Factor.
Cowell has "put a team of staff on standby to monitor the series" and "is ready to launch legal action," reports The Mail.
"Let It Shine is all very similar to The X Factor. There are people who will be watching closely and Simon is ready to launch legal action."
"There’s no love lost between them so Simon has no qualms holding Gary to account or protecting his business interests," a friend of Cowell reportedly said.
Dannii Minogue will feature on the Let It Shine panel, as will former Spandau Ballet singer Martin Kemp.
Cowell is said to be "angered" by Minogue's move as she was "very much part of the X Factor panel."
Barlow also reportedly tried to enlist X Factor judge Nicole Scherzinger to join his panel, but Cowell offered her a new deal to stay.
Barlow (45) previously worked with Cowell as a judge on the X Factor from 2011 to 2013, before he left the show to pursue his solo career.