Saturday 1 October 2016

Simon Cowell blasts Zayn Malik for developing One Direction-inspired TV show without consulting him

Published 08/09/2016 | 11:10

Simon Cowell launched the career of One Direction
Simon Cowell launched the career of One Direction

Simon Cowell has blasted Zayn Malik for developing a TV show inspired by One Direction - without consulting him first.

  • Go To

Malik, who quit the boy band last year to go solo, is reportedly set to executive produce a scripted TV series called Boys.

But music mogul Cowell told Entertainment Today: "I think he should have come to me with it, if I'm being honest with you."

However, he added: "Nothing surprises me any more."

Cowell helped to create One Direction after the boys auditioned for The X Factor, and signed the band to his label Syco, launching their hugely successful global career.

Since leaving the band, Malik has forged a solo career with singles including Pillowtalk and Like I Would.

The 23-year-old will reportedly team up with producer Dick Wolf and Universal Television to create a show following the ups and downs of a world-famous boy band who are thrust into the spotlight.

" I just think they should come to me with these things," Cowell said.

"I do actually believe that when they've got these ideas, bearing in mind where we started, they should actually come to me."

The 56-year-old suggested he should have been involved in the TV series from the start.

He said: "I like everyone who's got ambition but I'm not going to lie, there's always part of me that thinks they should give it to me."

Press Association

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment