Friday 20 October 2017

RTE close to naming Bryan Dobson's successor on the Six One

Different roles: Bryan Dobson and Sharon Ni Bheolain.
Different roles: Bryan Dobson and Sharon Ni Bheolain.

Alan O'Keefe

The kingmakers of RTE are about to choose Bryan Dobson's successor on the flagship Six One news.

Insiders said the new anchor is due to be announced in the coming weeks and the post will not be advertised.

Dobson has been king of the castle on the programme for 21 years.

However, the top executives will not be poaching a star journalist from another news organisation at home or abroad.

It would be seen as bad form, or near impossible, to bring in an outsider at a time when the station is trying to reduce its workforce with a big round of redundancies.

"A new presenter of Six One will be appointed in due course," said an RTE spokeswoman last night.

Dobson (57) moves at the end of next month to replace the retired Cathal Mac Coille on RTE Radio One's Morning Ireland.

His move could trigger a series of staff changes, resulting in the biggest musical chairs job swap since the departure of Pat Kenny from RTE triggered a round of promotions.

Earlier this week, the Herald broke the story that Sharon Ni Bheolain could be joining Dobson in leaving the Six One news in a further shake-up at the national broadcaster.

Now speculation is mounting of further changes to the teatime TV news in November, with a suggestion that Ni Bheolain will become the anchor of the 9pm news.

Sources inside Montrose said that all options are being explored.

These include appointing two new presenters at the Six One desk in a "substantial" revamp of news and current affairs.

Ni Bheolain has worked with Dobson for 13 years. In 2013, she hinted she was open to a change, saying she was "looking for something new".

Herald

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment