RTE 'certainly didn't force' Dylan McGrath to appear on Saturday Night Show for 'car crash' interview
Published 01/06/2015 | 11:27
RTE bosses have defended their decision to go ahead with Dylan McGrath's interview on the Saturday Night Show.
The top Irish chef was clearly in a lot of pain and spoke very, very slowly as he discussed his career and personal life, prompting viewers to question why he had been allowed to appear.
As host Brendan O'Connor introduced McGrath, he said, "He's actually on painkillers as well so this should be good".
McGrath also asked the audience to excuse him as he was on a lot of painkillers for his back.
"When I was 26 I was working every hour God sent, but now I'm 37 I'm not as young as I used to be, so now my back is sore," he said.
During the interview, viewers took to Twitter to voice their concern over the chef's health and questioned RTE's decision to allow him to appear.
However, RTE has responded by saying "we spoke to him before he went on air and Dylan and his team were happy for him to go ahead with the interview."
Dylan's rep Lyndsey Holmes added, “Dylan didn’t want to let anyone down, he wanted to do the show. And RTE certainly didn’t force him on”.
She said, "Viewers saw a very different Dylan who for the first time spoke openly about his family and his personal journey to get to where he is today, citing his mother as his driving force."
During the interview Dylan spoke about his personal life and the loss of his mother in 2010 publicly for the first time.
"It was the first time he spoke so personally and it was a major interview for him to do," said RTE Television communications manager Tara O'Brien. "With something like that live on TV it's always going to be unnerving."
Watch the full interview here: http://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/10426127/