Entertainment TV News

Tuesday 30 September 2014

Rosenstock 'too busy' to record new comedy series for RTE

Melanie Finn

Published 18/07/2014 | 02:30

  • Share
Mario Rosenstock: comedian
Mario Rosenstock pictured for Barry Egan interview.  Picture; GERRY MOONEY.  9/4/14
Mario Rosenstock. Photo: Gerry Mooney
Comedian Oliver  Callan. Photo: Tom Burke 11/7/2014
Comedian Oliver Callan. Photo: Tom Burke 11/7/2014

IT'S no laughing matter, as the top-rated show by comedian Mario Rosenstock has been "delayed" and won't be returning to our small screens this year.

  • Share
  • Go To

Despite pulling in impressive reviews for the station, his satirical show won't feature on RTE's autumn schedule launch.

The renowned impersonator (43) has also been in talks with TV3 as he keeps his options open, saying that "nothing is set in stone". Meanwhile, his rival Oliver Callan's new comedy sketch show has moved into the 'Late Late Show' slot on RTE One for a six-week run.

Written by Callan and Republic of Telly creator James Cotter, the show had its TV pilot on New Year's Eve before being given a summer slot.

'Gift Grub' creator Mario revealed he has been in negotiations with RTE about making a third series of his programme.

But he said he was going to be too busy with his new nationwide tour to make the TV show this year. His 'Rosenstock Show' director Damien Farrell is also working on the new Star Wars movie at the moment.

"There was a lot of to-ing and fro-ing between myself and RTE. It's a case of watch this space. They wanted me to do a series in the autumn but I'm on tour then so I had to put it back," Mario said.

"There's talks with RTE about something a lot more ambitious so that's also why the show has been delayed."

He also confirmed that he had been approached by TV3 about possible future projects. The Ballymount station first featured his impersonations on 'Tonight With Vincent Browne' before he was poached by RTE to make two series of his hit TV show. He's also flying high with his live stage shows, 'Gift Grub Live', having recently performed to 3,500 fans at the Live at the Marquee in Cork festival, which the impressionist said was "amazing."

A spokeswoman for RTE said it was hopeful of working with Mario in the future. "We are in talks for the next series of his show as it performed really well for RTE2 and he's a talent we really admire," she said.

Irish Independent

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment