Wednesday 28 September 2016

Pablo Esobar's son lists 'insulting' plotline mistakes in Narcos season two

Sasha Brady

Published 12/09/2016 | 13:58

Pablo Escobar's son has slammed Narcos producers for plotline
Pablo Escobar's son has slammed Narcos producers for plotline "inaccuracies" in season two. Photo: Netflix
Pablo Escobar is back. Photo: Netflix
Pablo Escobar's son claims that Narcos' producers got his father's football team wrong. Photo: Netflix

*WARNING* Contains spoilers for Narcos season one and two.

  • Go To

Last week saw the return of season two of Narcos, the fast-based drama based on the manhunt for the infamous Colombian drug lord and cartel leader Pablo Escobar (Wagner Moura).

The first season followed agents Steve Murphy (Boyd Holbrook) and Javier Peña (Pedro Pascal) on their life-long mission to take down the Latin American crime boss, but it was all leading up to this, the all-out war before Escobar's final downfall.

While the Emmy-nominated show is winning rave reviews from viewers and critics alike, one person isn't too impressed with Netflix's depiction of events: Escobar's son, Sebastian Marroquin.

In a lengthy Facebook post, Marroquin - who changed his name from Escobar in order to distance himself from his family's violent reputation - slammed the crime biopic's writers for making at least 28 errors in the second season.

The "insulting" mistakes range from portraying Carlos Henao, Marroquin’s uncle, as a drug dealer when he was apparently an architect, to depicting his father as an Atletico Nacional supporter, when he was a Deportivo Independiente Medellin fan.

Pablo Escobar died in 1993 at the age of 44
Pablo Escobar died in 1993 at the age of 44

"My Father was not a supporter of Atlético Nacional, but of the independiente medellín," he wrote. "If the writers don't even know the favorite team of Pablo, how dare to tell you the rest of a story like that and sell it as true?"

Marroquin, who now works as an architect himself, also discredits a scene which shows law enforcement officials helping Escobar escape from La Catedral prison in 1992.

Pablo Escobar's son claims that Narcos' producers got his father's football team wrong. Photo: Netflix
Pablo Escobar's son claims that Narcos' producers got his father's football team wrong. Photo: Netflix

"On the escape from the Cathedral: the confrontation was not that big, only a keeper of the prison died. There was no clash. My Father had no contacts, no help from the law to escape," he said.

"The escape was planned from when the jail was constructed: my father ordered them to leave a few bricks loose. Dad ran away when the government informed him the agreement to not transfer him was no longer applicable."

He also said that there is no truth that the Medellin and Cali Cartels negotiated to stay in Miami and New York respectively and Escobar did not personally kill Colonel Carrillo.

The Colombian exile also claimed that his father never attacked the wedding of Gilberto Rodriguez’s daughter.

The 39-year-old also slammed producers for showing his mother buying a gun. He wrote: "My mother never bought or used a weapon. Everything about it is a lie."

The makers of the show say that while it is based upon Colombia's drug wars, some characters and events have been fictionalised for dramatic purposes.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment