Saturday 10 December 2016

NBC's 'Hannibal' cancelled after just three seasons

Published 23/06/2015 | 10:45

(Photo: Twitter/Martha De Laurentiis)
(Photo: Twitter/Martha De Laurentiis)

Hannibal fans have been left aghast as it has been revealed the current third season of the Bryan Fuller drama will be its last.

  • Go To

Network NBC has cancelled the ‘Silence of the Lambs’ prequel series, it is reported, after just three seasons.

For now, fans have to be content with ending their Hannibal experience with the full 13-episode third season.

And it may not have been a lack of viewers that is the cause behind the show’s cancellation either, as a copyright issue has been cited as the reason.

The Hollywood Reporter is reporting that there may have been a rights issue at the centre of the decision to end the series.

It is believed Fuller wanted to introduce Clarice Starling in season four, with the rights to the character previously portrayed by Jodie Foster said to be unavailable.

Executive Producer Martha DeLaurentiis hinted the crew may be trying to find a way around the issue at hand.

In a statement, she said: “NBC has allowed us to craft a television series that no other broadcast network would have dared, and kept us on the air for three seasons despite Cancelation Bear Chow ratings and images that would have shredded the eyeballs of lesser Standards & Practices enforcers.

“NBC Entertainment exec] Jen Salke and her team have been fantastic partners and creatively supportive beyond measure.

“Hannibal is finishing his last course at NBC’s table this summer, but a hungry cannibal can always dine again.

“And personally, I look forward to my next meal with NBC.”

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment