Entertainment TV News

Friday 19 September 2014

Martin Freeman reveals Sherlock set to return for Christmas special

Daisy Wyatt

Published 01/07/2014 | 12:52

  • Share
Benedict Cumberbatch
Benedict Cumberbatch

Sherlock looks set to return for a Christmas special, Martin Freeman has revealed.

  • Share
  • Go To

But fans hoping to catch up with Holmes and Dr Watson will have to wait until 2015 for another instalment.

Producers have struggled to finalise a filming schedule due to the cast’s acting commitments, but Freeman has hinted there will be Christmas 2015 special.

“I think that might be for next Christmas. A Christmas special. That’s what I understand,” he told The Telegraph, adding: “I’m speaking off-message here; if this was New Labour I’d get fired.”

Freeman is currently preparing to star as Richard III on stage at Trafalgar Studios in London, having finished filming on the forthcoming Hobbit film The Battle of the Five Armies.

He recently appeared in the US TV series Fargo, a re-make of the Coen Brothers’ crime film.

Cumberbatch’s acting schedule also looks busy. The actor will join Freeman to take on the role of Shakespeare’s Richard III, but for a TV drama on BBC2 instead.

He is also due to star as Hamlet at the Barbican in London from August to October in 2015.

Last month, Mark Gatiss dismissed rumours that Sherlock would return as a one-off TV film rather than a series.

“There was talk [of a single film, but] amongst people who have nothing to do with Sherlock, I’m afraid,” he said.

Independent News Service

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment