Louis Walsh won't rule out X Factor return but only with right panel (and Cheryl is not his first choice)
Published 30/03/2016 | 07:55
With news that Dermot O'Leary (pictured) will return to the X Factor after a year-long hiatus, attention has naturally turned to whether Louis Walsh could follow suit.
The Mayo mogul spent 11 years as one of the show's judges, but walked away last year.
But he has told the Herald Diary that he wouldn't go back on the music programme unless it was with the right panel of celebrities.
He described his former protege Cheryl as being "OK" to work with, but said she wouldn't be his first choice as a fellow mentor.
"She doesn't give me the fun that Sharon Osbourne gives me or Nicole Scherzinger give me. For me, they're the two best judges ever and I like Mel B. She was great fun. And Gary Barlow too," he said.
The door has always been left for him to return to the show, given his close friendship with media supremo Simon Cowell.
The pair met for a lengthy dinner in London recently, sparking rumours that he could be in talks to return to the show.
His main competition for the slot had been rumoured to be One Direction star Louis Tomlinson.
The 24-year-old singer, who was discovered on the ITV talent show in 2010, reportedly expressed his interest in joining the team alongside Simon Cowell, Cheryl Fernandez Versini and Rita Ora, but is now said to be choosing to focus on setting up his own record label during 1D's hiatus.
"Louis loves the X Factor, but wants to develop his label and sign more new talent," a show source told the Sun on Sunday. "Simon understands. They both agreed not to rule him out being an X Factor judge in the future."