Louis Walsh to play role on Mario Rosenstock's new show
Published 06/11/2015 | 07:56
Former X Factor judge Louis Walsh turned down a whopping €750,000 to appear on this year’s ‘I’m A Celeb…’
However, ITV’s loss is RTE’s gain given that the national broadcaster has snapped him up to appear on Mario Rosenstock’s new comedy show.
While picking up a six-figure sum to much down on creepy crawlies and sleep on the ground of an Australian jungle wasn’t to his taste, he’s keeping his talents closer to home with his next move.
His first big TV appearance since leaving Simon Cowell’s ailing programme last year, the Mayo music mogul last month filmed a hilarious sketch for the funnyman’s new series.
Expected to be one of the highlights of RTE’s Winter schedule, the new studio entertainment show sees Mario dressed up as Miriam O’Callaghan as he ‘genuinely’ puts Louis through his paces.
An insider said: “Louis’s a massive fans of Mario’s and has got to the stage now where he can cherry pick what gigs he does and doesn’t do. He doesn’t need to take on projects just for the money anymore – it’s more about whether he enjoys them or not.
“He had a ball filming the show and is definitely keen to do more things in Ireland, if the right vehicle comes along.”
Starting on November 15 and running for six weeks on Sunday nights, the Mario Rosenstock was one of RTE’s best performing shows previously,
The former Westlife manager has spoken before of Mario’s talents and gave the impressionist the big thumbs-up, saying he could even make it abroad.
“I think he’s so under-rated here. He’s the one person I think should definitely get out of here. He has a great talent and someone in England should snap him up, the same as they did with Brendan O’Carroll,” he said.
Walsh appeared on the past 11 series of the X Factor before leaving the show this year.
He has been dearly missed though – particularly when it comes to the ratings as the show haemorrhages viewers. Last weekend saw the programme clock in some four million viewers less than last year as 5.6m tuned in to watch the first live show.
Show sources say that Simon Cowell had approached Walsh about the possibility of coming back and making a guest appearance on the programme.
However, nothing has yet been confirmed as speculation surrounds his next TV move.
As well as managing boyband Hometown, he also looks after Shane Filan as he continues his successful solo career.