Saturday 3 December 2016

Jeremy Clarkson finally addresses Top Gear sacking: 'I'll miss being there'

The former host has thanked fans for their support

Heather Saul

Published 18/04/2015 | 10:01

Jeremy Clarkson
Jeremy Clarkson

JEREMY Clarkson has finally spoken out over his Top Gear sacking and admitted he will miss presenting the popular motoring show.

  • Go To

The controversial presenter briefly addressed the BBC’s decision not to renew his contract in his weekly column for The Sun.

"Heartfelt thanks to all those who have written to say how much they will miss me on Top Gear," he wrote. "It's not as much, however, as I'll miss being there."

Clarkson was dropped as a host following what the BBC described as an “unprovoked physical assault” on producer Oisin Tymon over the food available following a day’s filming.

He last week hinted he and his former co-presenters could return somewhere outside of the BBC at a charity auction, where he also thanked the audience for "coming to see an unemployed man".

Speculation is rife over the future of who will continue to present Top Gear, particularly after images of Clarkson, James May and Richard Hammond were all removed from the masthead of the show’s website last month.

The comedian Sue Perkins was the bookies favourite to replace Clarkson. She denied speculation but this week found herself at the receiving end of abuse from infuriated Top Gear fans and announced she would be taking a break from Twitter.

The trio will still present a live world tour next month, but it will be stripped of all BBC branding and hosted under the name Clarkson, Hammond and May Live.

BBC Director General Tony Hall said the decision to drop Clarkson was made “with great regret”. However, he said “a line had been crossed” and it could not be one rule for one and one rule for another.

Independent News Service

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment