Does new Top Gear presenter Chris Evans suffer from car sickness?
Amid claims he won't live up to predecessor Jeremy Clarkson, the new Top Gear presenter was forced to get out of the car to be sick during filming
Published 18/01/2016 | 20:45
New Top Gear presenter Chris Evans appeared to take a handbrake turn for the worse during filming of the BBC motoring show in California recently.
Evans was forced to make a hurried exit from an Audi R8 V10, which was being driven at the Mazda Raceway track in Monterey by co-star Sabine Schmitz, in order to be sick.
After getting out of the £134,500 luxury sports car, the 49-year-old, who was confirmed as Jeremy Clarkson's replacement last year, was photographed hunched over and retching by the side of the racetrack.
Speaking to The Sun, a source said: "It would be unfair to expect him to be perfect right from the word 'go'. But how can someone who gets car sick possibly host Top Gear?"
Evans was given a bottle of water by a member of the crew and appeared to recover quickly from the incident.
This is not the only speed bump Evans has encountered since filming began on the new series, which will air from May 8 this year.
Recent reports suggested that the TFI Friday host was struggling to talk and drive at the same time, causing him to fluff his lines repeatedly. This claim was later denied by the BBC.
However, a source told The Sun: "Chris is really struggling to master the art of driving and talking to camera, which is crucial.
"It's a skill. Jeremy [Clarkson], Richard [Hammond] and James [May] could do it no problem, in one or two takes."
Executive producer Lisa Clark, who was brought in for the new series on Evans' request, also resigned after just five months.
It is understood Evans had a furious row with BBC bosses over her initial resignation at the start of December. She rejoined the team for a few weeks but again handed in her notice at Christmas.
Clark said in a statement she was "moving on to new projects". She added: "I'd like to wish production all the very best with the show."
The BBC has insisted filming of the new series of Top Gear is going ahead as planned, despite reports suggesting the show may not be ready for its May launch.
The Metro newspaper had claimed the relaunch "has stalled", and said it is not known when the next series will be broadcast.
But the BBC denied suggestions of problems with Chris Evans's relaunched version of the show.
A BBC spokesman said: "Filming on Top Gear continues as planned and on schedule."
Speaking earlier this year, Evans admitted: "It's a baptism of fire to say the least.
"I hope that [camaraderie] will develop but I'd be crazy to think it will happen right away."