Saturday 19 August 2017

Bernard Brogan turns down Dancing with the Stars as fancy footwork stays on pitch

Bernard Brogan
Bernard Brogan

Sean O'Grady

Dublin GAA star Bernard Brogan has turned down the chance to appear on RTE's Dancing With The Stars, the Herald reveals.

Although the 33-year-old could have been set to replicate the success of first series winner, Kerry GAA legend Aidan O'Mahony, the true-blue star decided that the glamour-filled show wasn't for him.

A source said the former Footballer of the Year wanted to concentrate on remaining a force in Jim Gavin's Dublin squad for next year.

"He's nowhere near ready to hang up his boots yet and, while the timing of the show may have fitted into his schedule, he's happy for now to just concentrate on performing to the best of his ability," the source said.

Bernard Brogan
Bernard Brogan

"He's not ready to take on any extra projects."

Brogan, who married Kiera Doyle last December, was on the wish-list for the producers of the hit show, which has just been given the green light for a second season.

Brogan didn't start in Dublin's Leinster opener against Carlow and may well have to settle for a place on the bench against Westmeath on Sunday.

Earlier this week his older brother Alan said he would "keep fighting for a starting spot for sure".

Aidan O'Mahony
Aidan O'Mahony

Although Dancing With The Stars won't go into pre-production for a few months, a number of celebrities have already been approached via their agents to see if they would be interested in appearing on the show.

Contestants will pocket an estimated €3,400 for each week they stay on the highly lucrative programme.

Anyone taking part in the series has to sign up for 12 weeks, given that it runs from January to the end of March.

Dancing With The Stars Ireland will return to our screens next year 

Herald

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment