Entertainment

Tuesday 2 September 2014

Seventh installment of Fast and Furious to continue production despite death of star Paul Walker

Tim Walker

Published 02/12/2013 | 08:44

  • Share
Police investigating actor Paul Walker's death in a crash will try to discover how fast the Porsche he was travelling in was going.
Police investigating actor Paul Walker's death in a crash will try to discover how fast the Porsche he was travelling in was going.
Sheriff's deputies work near the wreckage of a Porsche that crashed into a light pole on Hercules Street near Kelly Johnson Parkway in Valencia, Calif., on Saturday, Nov. 30, 2013. A publicist for actor Paul Walker says the star of the "Fast & Furious" movie series died in the crash north of Los Angeles. He was 40. Ame Van Iden says Walker died Saturday afternoon. No further details were released. (AP Photo/The Santa Clarita Valley Signal, Dan Watson)
Sheriff's deputies work near the wreckage of a Porsche that crashed into a light pole on Hercules Street near Kelly Johnson Parkway in Valencia, Calif.
Sheriff's deputies work near the wreckage of a Porsche that crashed into a light pole on Hercules Street near Kelly Johnson Parkway in Valencia, Calif., on Saturday, Nov. 30, 2013. A publicist for actor Paul Walker says the star of the "Fast & Furious" movie series died in the crash north of Los Angeles. He was 40. Ame Van Iden says Walker died Saturday afternoon. No further details were released. (AP Photo/The Santa Clarita Valley Signal, Dan Watson)
Sheriff's deputies work near the wreckage of a Porsche that crashed into a light pole on Hercules Street near Kelly Johnson Parkway in Valencia, Calif.

The 40-year-old actor was killed on Saturday afternoon when the Porsche he was riding in struck a lamppost.

  • Share
  • Go To

The seventh instalment of the big-budget Fast and Furious film franchise is to continue production, despite the death of its star Paul Walker in a car accident this weekend.

The 40-year-old actor was killed on Saturday afternoon when the Porsche he was riding in struck a lamppost and burst into flames in Santa Clarita, near Los Angeles.

The new film, which was due to be released in July 2014, will be subject to a delay. According to The Hollywood Reporter, its director James Wan and executives from Universal Studios held a meeting by phone on Sunday to determine what needed to be done to  complete the film yet also remain respectful to Walker's memory.

The actor had been on a break from filming in Atlanta during the Thanksgiving holiday, but he and his fellow cast members - among them Vin Diesel, Jason Statham and Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson - were planning to return to the set yesterday [SUNDAY]. Shooting is now expected to recommence later this week. Though much of the film was already complete, production was scheduled to shift to Abu Dhabi in January.

Walker played undercover agent Brian O'Conner in all but one of the six Fast and Furious movies, which have collectively grossed around $2.4bn worldwide. The promotion of the next in the series is likely to prove problematic, given the films' focus on spectacular car stunts.

Walker was a passenger in the Porsche Carrera GT owned and driven by his friend and business partner Roger Rodas, who was also killed in the collision. Tyrese Gibson, who stars in the Fast and Furious series alongside Walker, was visibly emotional when he visited the crash site on Sunday to pay tribute to his friend.

Universal Pictures released a statement following the news of Walker's death, saying, "Paul was truly one of the most beloved and respected members of our studio family for 14 years, and this loss is devastating to us, to everyone involved with the Fast and Furious films, and to countless fans."

Independent News Service

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment