Tubs to take over Wogan's radio slot
Broadcaster Ryan Tubridy has vowed to keep fans of Terry Wogan's BBC radio show "entertained, or at least occupied" until Wogan returns to work.
Wogan (77) was forced to pull out of last night's Children in Need broadcast due to health reasons.
Wogan is having a procedure on his back and was advised by doctors to withdraw from the show.
Dermot O'Leary covered for Wogan on TV while Ryan will present his 11am to 1pm slot on BBC Radio 2 for the next few weeks.
"First and foremost, I want to wish Terry the best of health," Tubridy said. "I've been an admirer since I was a young boy watching Wogan on the television and more recently listening to him on Radio 2.
"I will do my very best to keep his listeners entertained, or at least, occupied, for the next couple of weeks until the man himself returns."
Ryan's weekday show on RTÉ will not be affected by his work at the BBC.
Ryan has previously filled in for Graham Norton and Chris Evans. He also sat in for BBC radio host Simon Mayo when the popular Drivetime host was on his summer holidays.
Wogan confirmed on Thursday evening that he would be missing the "wonderful, inspiring" Children in Need evening for the first time since 1980. "I'm going to miss our wonderful, inspiring evening together, but I'll be with you, watching, cheering and donating to a magnificent cause," he said.
Born in Limerick in 1938, Wogan began his career at RTÉ, first in radio and later as presenter of programmes such as light entertainment show Jackpot.
In 1966, he was approached by BBC and made the move to England where he has had a distinguished career in both radio and television.
Earlier this year he divulged the secret to a long lasting career in TV and radio. "I learned early on, hundreds of years ago, I work best when I'm making it up as I go along," he said.
Independent.ie Comments Facility
INM has taken the decision to remove the commenting facility on its online platform Independent.ie to minimise the legal risk to our business that arises from Ireland's draconian libel awards system.
We continue to look forward to receiving comments through direct email contact or via social media, some of which may still be featured on the website Independent.ie