Ryan Tubridy won't be making jaunt to BBC this summer before Radio 1 return
Published 02/08/2015 | 09:26
RTE broadcaster Ryan Tubridy will not be making his annual summer jaunt to the BBC before returning to Radio 1.
Tubridy, who confirmed this week he would be leaving his 2FM slot for Radio One, has covered for many of the BBC's biggest names on the airwaves during his summer holidays.
However, a BBC spokesperson said that he is "not currently" down for any cover.
"We don't comment on plans too far ahead, but he' not currently doing any cover," the spokesperson told the Mail on Sunday.
In recent years, he has filled in fro Graham Norton, Ken Bruce and Chris Evans among others and has consistently drawn in solid ratings with his work across the pond.
Last week, it was confirmed that Tubridy would replace John Murray on the 9am slot on Radio 1 in September.
“It's with mixed emotions that I say goodbye to 2fm and hello again to Radio 1," Tubridy told independent.ie.
"The last few years have been spent building a loyal and engaged listenership thanks to the hardest working team in Irish radio; I am extremely grateful to them."
"The recent increase in listener numbers is down to the team and I will miss them as friends and colleagues on 2fm enormously. I would like to thank the listeners who texted, called and emailed every day and were so generous with the stories and experiences that made up the fabric of our show."
It is believed that Tubridy will not be replaced on 2fm as the station seeks a younger demographic.
It had been reported that Nicky Byrne (36) would replace Tubs, but with Nicky's show riding high in the the most recent JNLR ratings (new ratings are due out today), he will stay with his current show, which is co-hosted by Jenny Greene.