RTE edits out 'offensive' comments about Syrian refugees made by Guinness heir on Ryan Tubridy's radio show
RTE has removed comments made by Guinness heir Patrick Guinness on Ryan Tubridy's radio show from the RTE website.
The comments, about Syrian refugees, were made on Tubridy's Monday morning radio show on RTE One.
Mr Guinness (58) was on the show to talk about the sale of his home Furness House as well as the auction of 700 items including furniture and art from the house on Tuesday.
Patrick is seventh generation in direct success to Arthur Guinness and he and his second wife Louise bought Furness, set on 34 acres near Naas, Co Kildare, in 1994.
Speaking about the fact that his four children had left the house, he told Tubridy it was "probably time for a change" and they would downsize as they had just "two of us in a 15 bedroom house and full of all things we had either inherited or bought".
Asked where he would live after the auction, he replied, "First of all, we have to sell the house. We may fill it full of Syrian refugees. You never know."
Tubridy replied, "That would be a very generous thing to do if it's for real," and Mr Guinness added, "Preferably female aged between 20 and 30."
Ryan Tubridy responded by saying, "Okay, well that's one of the more peculiar suggestions I've heard."
"Someone's got to do it," replied Mr Guinness.
The comments were removed from the show online as RTE deemed them "offensive".
"The comments Patrick made on air were deemed offensive and it was an editorial decision to remove them," said an RTE spokesperson.
The auction took place on Tuesday and several items sold for several thousand euro.
An Edwardian carved and painted rocking horse sold for €6,600 even though it had been estimated at €800-€1200 while a rare pair of metal bound stout barrels inscribed with the company name sold for €2,300.