Saturday 1 October 2016

'It sounds like I stabbed him in the back' - Al Porter confirms takeover from Colm Hayes

Sean O'Grady

Published 29/07/2016 | 07:21

Al Porter. Photo: Naomi Gaffey
Al Porter. Photo: Naomi Gaffey
Colm Hayes and wife Anne at the Irish premiere of Billy Elliot The Musical atthe Bord Gais Energy Theatre. Pictures: Brian McEvoy

Comedian Al Porter has confirmed he is on the verge of signing a contract with RTE for his own show on 2fm.

  • Go To

In the wake of his close pal Colm Hayes leaving the station, Porter (23) said he had been busy brushing up on his presenting skills.

"I'm in negotiations with 2fm. We've almost signed the contract," he told the Herald.

"I have been taught how to run a desk in the radio centre and I've been given lessons in radio presenting.

"Is it in preparation for my own show? Yes. There is a promo in RTE Radio Centre that says, 'The Al Porter Show on 2fm'."

Hayes' decision to leave the station came after 2fm rebranded itself to appeal to a younger audience.

However, Porter has insisted there will be no bad blood between the two.

"It sounds like I stabbed him in the back. It sounds bad," he said.

"I wrote a piece about Colm where I said he gave me the best year of my life - which he absolutely did.

"Colm taught me how to shave. He did loads of really fatherly things with me. He taught me a lot about radio."

The Herald previously revealed the Tallaght native was the hot favourite to replace Hayes.

Porter was said to have impressed radio bosses with his presenting skills and will make a welcome addition to 2fm in the wake of the latest JNLR figures.

The station experienced a loss in listenership across some of its biggest shows, with Breakfast Republic shedding 11,000 listeners.

Porter was speaking at the opening of Billy Elliot at the Bord Gais Energy Theatre.

Online Editors

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment