'I have not slipped in to John Murray's still warm bed' - Brendan O'Connor on filling in on RTE Radio 1
Published 06/07/2015 | 09:21
Brendan O'Connor has hit back at reports that he is the replacement for John Murray in the 9am slot on RTE Radio 1.
The John Murray Show was axed after five years with the 50-year-old broadcaster vacating the slot on Friday and Brendan O'Connor has been drafted in to take over from this morning.
However, he kicked off the new Brendan O'Connor Show by reiterating that it is a temporary arrangement.
"There's been a lot of mixed reporting on this - I'm not replacing John Murray. Nobody can replace John Murray," he said.
He added that it had been portrayed in some quarters that he had "slipped in to John Murray's still-warm bed" but he said, "I would not do that. I wouldn't take anyone else's gig."
"I'm here for four weeks and all I'm doing really is keeping the seat warm for whoever the anointed one is, Tubs or whoever, I don't know who it is," he added.
O'Connor said he had been scheduled in for holiday cover and "everyone else is gone on holidays so they've stuck me in for four weeks".
O'Connor's hugely popular Saturday Night Show wrapped up after five years in May with O'Connor lined up for a new midweek show in the autumn.
John Murray, meanwhile, ended his five year stint on Friday and said, "I think we’d all agree it’s been a great adventure from start to finish. There have been very few dull days. I’m proud of what we’ve achieved in that time."
He will return to Radio 1 in another role in the autumn. It has not yet been announced who will take over the 9-10am slot from August.