Sunday 4 December 2016

Popcorn: Will Peter Jackson save The Hobbit?

Joe Griffin

Published 04/06/2010 | 05:00

QUIT: Guillermo Del Toro has backed out of The Hobbit. Photo: Getty Images
QUIT: Guillermo Del Toro has backed out of The Hobbit. Photo: Getty Images

After numerous delays, Mexican director Guillermo Del Toro has stepped down from directing The Hobbit, but the film's producer, Peter Jackson, may take over.

  • Go To

Del Toro said on the film's website: "In light of delays, I am faced with the hardest decision of my life. After nearly two years of living, breathing and designing a world as rich as Tolkien's Middle Earth, I must, with great regret, take leave from helming these wonderful pictures."

But Jackson told The Dominion Post in New Zealand: "If [directing the films is] what I have to do to protect Warner Bros' investment, then obviously that's one angle which I'll explore."

Rose Huntington Whitely replaces Megan Fox

Comparing your director to Hitler isn't the best way to maintain a working relationship, a lesson that sexpot actress Megan Fox learned the hard way.

She and Transformers director Michael Bay engaged in a public spat, which culminated in her being replaced in Transformers 3.

The new lady charged with running from robots and towards Shia Labeouf will be Rose Huntington Whitely, below, a Victoria's Secret model with no acting experience.

Footloose remake hitting its stride

Another long-delayed film looks like it's finally kicking into gear.

The Footloose remake, despite being an awful idea, may be released next year and has nabbed a great director in Craig Brewer (Hustle and Flow, Black Snake Moan).

No actor has been assigned to step into Kevin Bacon's Nikes, but Thomas Decker (who played young John Connor in the Terminator series) is the front-runner.

Sex and the City 2

falters at Box Office

Possibly thanks to venomous reviews, Sex and the City 2 faltered on its opening weekend in the States. Shrek Forever After nabbed number one spot, with $55.7m, while Carrie and the girls notched up a $37m weekend. That's a huge step backwards from the first Sex and the City, which bagged $57m on its first three-day weekend, though rumours about a third instalment still persist.

Tony Curtis coming to Dublin

As part of the IFI's summer schedule, legend Tony Curtis will be visiting the IFI for a public talk. If you don't get tickets for this talk (and you really should try), you might check out the screenings of Curtis films taking place from June 25-27.

Curtis classics showing in the IFI include The Sweet Smell of Success, The Vikings and, of course, Some Like it Hot.

Irish Destiny at the Cork Midsummer Festival

Film fans on the other side of the country might want to check out this year's Cork Midsummer Festival, which will be screening Irish Destiny with a live score by Micheal O Suilleabhain.

There'll also be a season of Films They Tried to Ban, featuring screenings of The Life of Brian (banned in Ireland 1979-87) and the director's cut of The Exorcist, which strangely enough escaped the censor's scissors.

Josh Holloway Marvels at his post-Lost options

I'm sure the cast of Lost are sifting through offers as we speak, trying to secure a movie career and avoid a life of attending Lost conventions. Charismatic Josh Holloway (Sawyer) is off to a good start: Marvel is reportedly in talks with the actor for a potential starring role. The studio has previously produced Iron Man, Hulk and X-Men, so let the online speculation commence!

Irish Independent

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment