Entertainment

Wednesday 27 August 2014

No surprise there! Jennifer Maguire, Bernard O'Shea and Keith Walsh unveiled as new 2fm hosts

Published 29/01/2014 | 12:01

  • Share

The new 2fm Breakfast Show hosts have been unveiled...and there's no surprises in store.

  • Share
  • Go To

Hotly tipped Jennifer Maguire, Bernard O'Shea and Keith Walsh will be the trio at the helm of the 2fm morning programme, replaced Hector.

RTE made the announcement on Twitter, saying: "So I guess these guys will have to do", accompanied by a photo of the three of them in prison style orange jumpsuits.

A source revealed earlier this week: "That's what happened with Jennifer Maguire and Bernard O'Shea -- they bring in ratings with Republic of Telly, so Dan [Healy, 2FM boss] obviously feels that they can deliver on the airwaves too."

"Dan wants to revitalise the slot, it's the most important part of the day for the station, so he's considering the best option," a source said.

"Right now he thinks that is having a male and female presenter sharing the show, it's a tough gig but the station has to feed off that show, so mixing it up might be the best solution."

Rival DJ Ian Ian Dempsey from Today FM said the fault for falling listenership was not with the show's predecessor Hector but elsewhere in RTE. "Once again it appears that RTE Radio has forgotten the fact that 95pc of every great show comes from behind the scenes," Ian Dempsey told the Irish Independent.

The host of the most popular and longest running music breakfast show on Irish radio, had 180,000 listeners in the latest JNLR figures ahead of 'Breakfast With Hector' which dropped to 124,000.

His 'Gift Grub' colleague Mario Rosenstock said 2fm didn't have a clue who their audience was.

"Is it 18-30? Is it 25-44? They keep chopping and changing their identity. The only good thing to come out of this is that I can start doing impressions of Hector again, because I like the guy," said Mario.

Hector is to leave 2fm as early as tomorrow. The Galway-based presenter is due to return to RTE TV in the spring, with the series 'Hector Goes'.

His producer Alan Swan will take over the microphone on the airwaves until RTE confirms its new full-time team in the new year. A source also confirmed that there will be more changes in the schedule.

 

 

 

 

Read More

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment