THE US band One Direction, who are suing the UK and Irish band of the same name, have said they have received a large amount of death threats and hate mail since announcing the lawsuit earlier this week.
Sean O’Leary, the 18 year old lead singer of the US band, told The Sun “There has been so much hate mail, like people threatening to cut our balls off.”
However he revealed a death threat to the band’s manager and his father was the most disturbing. “The one that stands out for me is a girl saying she wanted to kill my father.”
He added that they have huge respect for the UK group, and that their fans must be “confused” to send the threats.
The US version of the band were formed in 2009, one year before the UK version of the band were created at boot camp of X Factor.
They are seeking $1m (€760,000) in damages from Simon Cowell record label Syco, as well as an injunction preventing any further use of the name.
The band, which includes Irish member Niall Horan, have had phenomenal success in the US in recent months, including a number one album and an appearance last weekend on Saturday Night Live.