Saturday 25 February 2017

Trial of Jackson doctor delayed

Dr Conrad Murray has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter (AP)
Dr Conrad Murray has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter (AP)

The trial of the doctor charged in connection with Michael Jackson's death has been delayed until September.

Superior Court judge Michael Pastor has put off opening statements that had been set for next week and said he will release potential jurors who have started the screening process.

Judge Pastor now says jury selection will begin on September 8 and opening statements will begin later that month.

Lawyers for Dr Conrad Murray asked to delay the trial to prepare for new prosecution experts expected to be called as witnesses.

Murray had been seeking a speedy trial but has waived that right to allow his lawyers to prepare for the experts.

Judge Pastor said the need for fundamental fairness requires a delay.

Murray has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter.

Press Association

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment