Monday 5 December 2016

Settlement in Prince concert case

Published 26/02/2010 | 18:19

A Irish concert promoter has settled a court case with Prince
A Irish concert promoter has settled a court case with Prince

A Irish concert promoter claimed he wasn't out of pocket after settling a court case with Prince.

  • Go To

The pop legend and his agent, William Morris, were being sued for 1.7 million euro by MCD after he pulled out days before the Croke Park gig in summer 2008.

During the three-day hearing at Dublin's High Court, an agent said Prince had spoken about promoter Denis Desmond and said: "Tell the cat to chill, we will work something out."

"The cat's very chilled," replied Mr Desmond outside the court building.

The High Court had heard how the near sell-out stadium concert in the capital was shelved at the last minute despite months of preparations and more than 55,000 ticket sales. Mr Desmond said Prince had no respect for fans when he pulled out.

But he revealed he would work with the star in the future - but warned he should get a good manager. The music promoter said he was delighted with the outcome but disappointed for the fans who didn't get to see the show.

"The settlement is confidential but suffice to say we're very happy with the result. We're not out of pocket," he said.

Mr Desmond said he was happy the allegations that MCD's figures were inflated were unfounded.

The artist's fee of three million dollars had been agreed on when the go-ahead for the concert was given by Prince's agents in February 2008. MCD then embarked on an extensive publicity campaign, began selling tickets and forked out 700,000 euro for the venue.

The court heard Prince and the William Morris firm are in disagreement over who is liable for the damages and the booking agents claimed no reason of substance was given by the star for his refusal to perform.

Press Association

Read More

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment