Prince ditched gig 'on a whim'
Prince showed "no respect" for his fans when he cancelled a near sell-out stadium show in Ireland on an apparent whim, a court has heard.
The Diamonds And Pearls singer and his agents William Morris are being sued for 1.7 million euro by promoters MCD after pulling out just days before the Croke Park gig in summer 2008.
Dublin's High Court was told how the June 16 concert in the capital was shelved at the last minute despite months of preparations and more than 55,000 ticket sales.
MCD boss Denis Desmond, who was forced to issue tens of thousands of refunds, described Prince's no-show as a disgrace.
"I just felt that, to be honest, we'd been messed around and that the artist was showing no respect for us or for his fans," he told the court.
"There was no reason forthcoming as to why the show was being cancelled - it just seemed to be a whim as far as we were concerned."
The judge, Mr Justice Peter Kelly, heard an artist's fee of three million dollars was agreed on and the go-ahead for the concert was given by Prince's agents in February 2008.
MCD embarked on an extensive publicity campaign, began selling tickets and forked out 700,000 euro for the high-profile Croke Park venue.
The court heard how just ten days before showtime, the concert finally fell apart, and that Prince and the William Morris firm are in disagreement over who is liable for the damages.
Mr Justice Kelly was told the booking agents claimed no reason of substance was given by the US performer for his refusal to perform. Meanwhile Paul Sreenan, senior counsel for Prince, said there was no completely binding contract in which all terms had been agreed.