Thursday 20 July 2017

Phonics drummer choked on vomit

Stereophonics drummer Stuart Cable died after choking on his own vomit
Stereophonics drummer Stuart Cable died after choking on his own vomit

Former Stereophonics drummer Stuart Cable choked to death on his own vomit at the end of a three-day bender.

An inquest in his home town of Aberdare recorded a verdict of accidental death.

It revealed that the former hell-raiser effectively drunk himself to death.

Stuart, 40, a much-loved character in the world of rock, was found to have so much alcohol in his system it was regarded as toxic.

He had eaten a Chinese takeaway meal at home after another heavy drinking session at a local pub on June 6 this year. He continued drinking afterwards and was left downstairs asleep on the carpet by his partner and a friend when they went to bed.

Stuart was found unconscious on the floor of his luxury home in Llwydcoed, Aberdare, south Wales, in the early hours of the following morning.

Partner Rachel Jones, 33, who had come downstairs to check on him at about 5.30am, ran hysterically into the street in her dressing gown. In a bizarre twist, she flagged down the first car she saw to find Aaron Cable at the wheel, a cousin of the drummer's on the way to work in Pembrokeshire.

Detective Sergeant Richie Jones, giving evidence at the inquest, said Mr Cable went into the house and saw his famous relative unconscious on the floor.

He went over to him and said "come on Stu wake up it's Aaron," Mr Jones said. "He pushed him on to his back, wiped the vomit from his mouth with a cloth and started CPR," he added.

He said an ambulance was called but when paramedics arrived they were no more successful at reviving him than his relative. The drummer was taken to hospital where he was later pronounced dead.

Press Association

Promoted articles

Editors Choice

Also in Entertainment